Random Blog Post 1

Family Weekend Without Family

I love my family, don't get me wrong! But it can be a lot to host your family in a different city, let alone at your college. This year my parents aren't coming for family weekend so I am going to write my blog post about what it is like to do the weekend riding solo. 

One good aspect is that you get to spend a lot of time with other people's family and actually get to know them. Instead of having to take care of your own parents and introduce them to everyone you encounter, you get to meet your friends' families without worrying about your own. I think this is why I have become so close with a lot of my friend's parents—either because of this or they take pity on me for always being the only one without my family visiting. 

Another reason why I don't mind my family not coming is to be able to have a more relaxing weekend. I am sure all of you who have parents coming are organising dinners, scheduling times for them to come see your apartment, meet your roommates, have a campus tour... the list goes on. I find that when my family comes I take on the role of a professional travel agent, party planner and social coordinator—duties which I am relieved to not be taking on this year. 

While I wish my parents were here, I am sure the weekend will be a lot more stress-free and give me the opportunity to spend time with other people's families. Also, graduation is (unfortunately) fast approaching, so it is not long until the Hartings will be back at USC.

Comments

  1. Hi Florence! Although parents' weekend is a blast, I definitely agree that it can be super overwhelming. I enjoyed my weekend, but it was stressful planning everything and making sure that my parents were having a good time. I hope you enjoyed your weekend and that it was relaxing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Florence, great read! I definitely relate to your post, because I also feel the need to want to make sure my family has a good time, but it's hard to navigate with schools and midterms in the mix. I'm glad you were able to use the weekend to relax!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Florence! I am lucky that I live close and my family can just drive up for certain parts of the weekend but even that can be stressful. It is really nice that you have gotten close with the families of your friends!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Florence! I understand how hectic it can be when parents visit. When my parents came to visit, it was hard for me to find a balance between spending time with them and hanging out with my friends or going to school. It's good to hear that your friends and your parents are close

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Florence. That was a very relatable post to read. Since I am from LA, my parents are luckily able to come up and usually only stay for the day but, I can see how hosting your parents all weekend can be very challenging. I see how having no parents here allows you to get closer to the other parents here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Florence! I had a great time with you over this family weekend. Being from LA, I only saw my dad on Saturday for the game and I agree with you, it is nice and relaxing not having to entertain. Excited for your parents to come back to USC though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Florence. My parents couldn't come for the weekend either so I can relate to this. I definitely had a lot of time to spend with my friends' parents and get to know them. Well written and good job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment