Book 2, Post 1 - When: The Scientific Secrets of Perfect Timing

For my second book, I chose When: The Scientific Secrets of Perfect Timing by Daniel H. Pink. I am a huge fan of scheduling and organisation; being efficient makes me very happy. Therefore, I have always wondered about timing and how this affects certain things in our day. For instance, everyone chooses socially acceptable times to do things—even if a more random time would be more appropriate. An example of this is my roommates will leave to walk to school at 9:15, even though leaving at 9:18 would be the most efficient. Or choosing to get lunch at 12:30 instead of 12:42 could mean that the line is significantly longer, because everyone chose this socially acceptable time. This is why I chose the book When, to learn more about the secrets of perfect timing and see if Pink has any theories that align with my ideas. 

So far, I am very pleased with the book. I love a Malcom Gladwell-esque book that states a point, backs it up with an interesting story or research, and then applies it to real life. One example of this that I have learned from When so far is how we are better suited to doing certain things at different times of the day. For example, how students in Denmark performed better on tests they took in the morning versus the afternoon because our brains are more awake in the morning and less likely to be distracted. I enjoy learning about this kind of research because it is actually applicable to my life. I hope after reading this book I have a better sense of efficiency and knowledge of perfect timing.

Comments