Final Job Memo

Marketing Intern at CULTURED Magazine 

 

This semester, I am interning at CULTURED Magazine, a publication that focuses on art, architecture, and design. You probably haven’t heard of it – neither had I until applying recently – but I’ll try to do my best at describing what it is like to work there.

 

My official title is ‘Marketing Intern’, so my focus is to manage the image of the brand and content to support this. But on a daily, I do a random array of tasks that the team sends my way. These tasks fall into three main areas: 

·       Updating the website

·       Creating social media content

·       Managing the merchandise

 

The Website

One of my main responsibilities is managing the company website. I’m sure you have heard about “the death of print”, which I have seen is very true from working in the magazine industry. While CULTURED still publishes five print issues a year, the website and social media platforms are the most important channels for keeping the brand relevant. On a typical day, we post at least one article on the website, three Instagram posts on the feed, and five Instagram stories. It is my responsibility to create the website articles by using the CMS (content management system). This may sound complex, but new technology makes it very easy. The CMS separates the design process from the actual mechanics of how the website works. So, I just add information such as the article title, text, and images. I was confused the first time I did this, but like any repetitive task, it gets a lot easier over time! Sometimes I can also write my own stuff for the website, which I enjoy because I get to be more creative. 

 

Social Media

I also get to use my creativity with social media. Since platforms like Instagram can get so saturated with content, it is important to make your post stand out. So, I get to play around with fun images and text to capture the viewer. Whether I am reposting an article from the website, promoting a new art exhibition, or commenting on a fashion show, I try to keep the content fun and engaging. That said, every company should have a unique brand personality, so we always keep the fonts and formatting the same. While I do not want a career in social media, it is useful to know how to manage a brand on Instagram.


Merchandise & Design

Another responsibility of mine is managing the merchandise. The company has products like sweatshirts, hats, and tote bags on the website, and it is my job to oversee client orders. I ship out purchased products, manage inventory, and advertise the items online. I have been selling my clothes on Depop for 8 years, so this task comes very naturally to me. Also, since I am interested in working in fashion, this is good experience to have. I hope that while I am working at CULTURED, I can help design future products too. However, I have had the chance to use my design skills in other ways. As I mentioned before, I help create the graphics to post on Instagram. I do this by using a template on Adobe Photoshop to insert images and update the text. I also use Photoshop to create digital prototypes of the magazines. I find these tasks fun and easy because I have taken graphic design classes at USC. 

 

Bottom of the Ladder

But not everything is fun. As I’m sure every intern has experienced, if your superior doesn’t want to do it, they pass it off to you. So, what does ‘bitchwork’ look like at a magazine? I send a lot of emails. If the editor doesn’t have photography credits, I am finding it. If we don’t know the address for a fashion show, I am cold-calling Gucci. CULTURED is a powerhouse run by a small team, so I am often running around doing random tasks. While this is the most boring part of my job, it has taught me the most. From learning professional etiquette, how to be resourceful, or even patience. Starting at the bottom is where you gain the tools to progress – in any industry.

 

 

As you can see, my job responsibilities at CULTURED are varied. They also change a lot based on the time of the month and year. For example, when it is deadline week for a new issue, I have more editorial tasks to help with the physical magazine. As opposed to fashion week, where I focus more on posting on Instagram. My job requires me to adapt and react in fast-paced settings, but that is the reality of working in a creative industry like publishing.



Passive Sentences: 0%

Flesch Reading Ease: 64.4%

Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level: 8.3%

 

 

 

Comments

  1. Hey Florence! I really enjoyed reading your post regarding your internship. This sounds like a really fun time. It sounds like the element of social media was fun especially because you got to play around and make the posts stand out. This sounds like a creative job which is great if thats a field you would like to enter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Florence, great post! I know the "bitchwork" that comes with being an intern could be a drag, but good on you for finding the silver linings and learning from the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Florence, I enjoyed reading your post and got to learn more about your role. I also saw some similarities in what I have seen in movies, especially the "bitchwork" part that every underdog protagonist that goes through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Florence! I loved reading about your experiences as a marketing intern. It's interesting how you can hold the same title as someone but be doing different day-to-day tasks. I loved reading how you were able to use your creative side in the work place knowing how creative of a mind you have!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment