Book 1, Post 1 - American Like Me by America Ferrera

 I chose to read and analyse America Ferrera's book because she is someone I have always admired but do not actually know a lot about. Especially since I did not grow up in the U.S., I am curious to learn more about her experience growing up in this country and can relate to being split between two cultures. I also look forward to reading a range of people's submissions in addition to America Ferrera's perspective, because I think it will provide me a very broad insight. From reading Ferrera's forward, it made me emotional that at such a young age she already questioned her 'Americanness' and her identity. I think this speaks to American society where even though it is such a melting pot of backgrounds, cultures, and languages, people are still so discriminated against and unfortunately, realise it at such a young age.

I also found it very interesting to read the stories of Reshma Saujani, Al Madrigal, Jenny Zhang, Bambadjan Bamba, Padma Laksmi, and Randall Park. I especially resonated with Randall Park's chapter because he questioned how much he actually knew about his parents in their immigrant experience, childhoods, past relationships, and struggles. This made me think about my own family and how even though I think I know my parents so well, their stories have always been well selected and probably sugar-coated throughout my childhood. Park's journey to explore his own family's past has inspired me to ask some of the more difficult questions to my parents. Even though they were not immigrants, I think there are still stories of our cultural history that are unanswered and I am now curious to learn more. 

Comments