WHO YOU ARE MATTERS


Where I Come From
I was born on the 28th December 2000 in London, England and grew up there until I was 18. I have an older brother called Hugo and we had a pet poodle called Arthur for 16 years of my childhood. Growing up with an English father and American mother, I was fortunate to be exposed to both cultures and therefore decided to go to university in America to try the alternative.


Where I Am Going
As an avid city girl, I am always in search of exploring different cities. From London, to now living in LA, I imagine the next step for me is New York, where I have always dreamt of living in my 20s as my parents met and got married there.


How Am I Going To Get There
As a current senior, I hope to get a job at an advertising agency in New York. My dream job at the moment is the Ogilvy Associates Program.
How I Am Like My Parents
I am similar to my father in that we are both resourceful, driven, interested in sports and, unfortunately, extremely stubborn. My mother and I speak every day and have very similar interests such as our art & music taste and mutual shopping addictions. Therefore, I would say my behaviour and attitudes resemble more of my father and my hobbies and interests are more similar to my mother. Our entire family bonds over our love for food and it seems to be the only thing we can all agree on. Here is a photo of our most recent family meal at Dan Tanas, a new favourite for us in Los Angeles.


How I Am Unlike My Parents
I grew up in a very different way to both my parents. They both were raised in more rural areas with many siblings (my mum has five sisters!) whereas I had a more urban childhood with just my brother. Another big difference was that I went to boarding school for seven years, leaving home at age 11. Because of this, I had to develop a level of independence and resourcefulness that neither of them had to do at such a young age. I think this is also how I managed to come out to LA for college because I am used to not living and needing to rely on them. Enjoy a hideous photo below from my first day at boarding school.


Expectations For Myself
While my family, schools and society have put certain expectations on me, I also very high expectations for myself. From wanting to do well in school, have a successful career, make time for my family, and enjoy meaningful experiences with friends, I ensure my priorities are always in check. Also, I know the little things that make me happy and therefore expect myself to do these as much as possible - whether it be going to sleep early, walking, watching the sunset, film photography, and listening to music. 


Role Model
When I was in high school, I studied Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie and found a special appreciation for her work and way she conducts herself and uplifts other women. Especially from going to an all girls school, I had a strong feminist upbringing and Adichie was the most inspirational figure in this space. She also came to speak at my school and was one of friend's aunts so I was lucky enough to meet her.


Connection To The Animal Kingdom
Since I was little, I had a fascination with butterflies. Partly because my mother loved them and would buy butterfly trinkets and things in butterfly prints. But I remember visiting the butterfly pavilions in London and having a fascination with them - I think it is largely because they are so beautiful and I also like things that are symmetrical.


Connection To Nature Kingdoms
There was a cherry blossom tree in my garden at home growing up and every Spring, it would snow cherry blossoms. I have vivid memories of playing in the petals with Arthur when he was a puppy, who we called 'Arthur, King of the Cherry Blossoms'. It was a very happy time of year and I would always look forward to it. Below is a snapshot from a home video of me sweeping the petals with Arthur.


Astrological Information
Sun Sign: 06 Degrees Capricorn
Moon Sign: 02 Degrees Aquarius
Rising Sign: 25 Degrees Libra


Comments

  1. Hi Florence, I really enjoyed learning more about you through your blog! The pictures of you and your family are adorable. I also hope to live in NY next; I feel like it's an experience everyone should try out in their 20s!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Florence, often times people our age tend to ignore the little things in our lives and I find we can all get a bit crabby because of it. It's very insightful of you to be in touch with those things, best of luck finding your zen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flo!! You were such a cute baby. I never knew that you left home at age 11 for boarding school. That must have made you so independent at a young age. I read a book by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie in highschool and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely am with you on having high ambitions but taking time to keep a bit of balance in the midst of everything. Also love your cherry blossom story - I still have yet to see a cherry blossom tree in person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Florence! Great job on your post, I love all the pics. I couldn't relate to you more about the family food bonding... my family and I are absolute foodies. Dan Tanas looks incredible I need to try ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Flo! I absolutely loved reading your post. I think it is very cool that you want to move to New York after graduation. It was sweet reading that your parents met there as well. I think you look quite adorable on your first day of boarding school. Excited for you and your future endeavors, I know you are going to kill it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Florence! I really enjoyed reading your post. I loved reading about how much you enjoy big cities. I really think New York will be a great next destination for you. Have you been there before? I thought your choice of a butterfly was a very sweet story. I also love butterflies because of how beautiful they are. They also remind me of my grandmother.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment